Author Topic: Descendants Universe Q&A  (Read 14543 times)

celer

• View Profile
Re: Descendants Universe Q&A
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2012, 09:58:12 PM »
Technically violating the useage agreement(This post is sexually oriented in part) but not in any sort of malicious way, I believe.

Why doesn't Cyn use her powers for more things? Issues that strike me include that she is straight. She can actually control her own hormonal responses to people. ( http://www.descendantsserial.paradoxomni.net/issue-28-the-beach-episode/2/ mentions her looking for "hot guys" at the beach, among other references.)

Why is she not hyper intelligent? She can turn her entire body into a giant neuron firing cluster of super intelligence. She can consume more and become smarter.

Why does she let her transformed body feel pain? She doesn't really have a need for it.

Mazzon

• The 'me' in 'team'
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2012, 01:07:49 PM »
I know nothing, but find the issue presented by celer to be interesting.

Transforming one's own hormonal activity and brain capacity isn't a simple subject. In theory, by altering them you can alter your personality thus making yourself a different person. That's not something to do lightly, deciding you no longer want to be you is a big decision and I believe one most people would refuse.

Another issue is control. Even if the power works intuitively so that she doesn't need a doctorate in medicine to get all the muscles right etc. it still might be hard to figure out how to do small, subtle changes. Vaal only knows.

Just my two euro cents.

Vaal

• Vaguely Obscene
  • Administrator
  • Vaguely Obscene
    • View Profile
    • Descendants Serial
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2012, 01:25:39 AM »
Sorry it took me so long to respond, I've just been surfacing once or twice a day this past week and didn't see it.

This is a great question, and actually one I've given a lot of thought to.

For the question of her improving herself:

Short, jerkass answer: Cyn isn't hyper-intelligent because she's not hyper-intelligent.

More thoughtfully, Cyn's powers are part reflexive, part conscious. This has a few carved in stone rules:

- She has a definitive 'relaxed' state, where she's not trying to be in any specific form, and so looks like her (subconciously modified) white-haired, moderately intelligent mode. If she's knocked out, she remains n her last form, but if she falls asleep, she'll revert.

- Cyn heals reflexively and has trained herself to 'open holes' to let attacks through on reflex as well. Most other things, are a conscious, energy draining effort.

- Cyn can only affect conscious changes that she understands and she is not naturally more intelligent than the average person. She's been learning new tricks, but hardly knows all of them.

- Cyn's power can only create organic, carbon based structures. However, brain mass requires minerals such as salt to fire. Even if she knew how to make this work, she would need to absorb a great deal of exterior salts often in addition to her usual extra load of food, plus even more food to keep her super-sized brain working (Hyper-cogs have super efficient synapses instead of greater brain mass).

So technically, yes, her powers allow for it, but at the moment, she neither knows how, nor is able to do so in a resource efficient way.

Another interesting thing is that if she understood the necessary biological mechanisms, she could copy descendant and Faerie powers.

As to her hormonal control, once again, she doesn't know how and also, she has no motive for altering it. She likes liking guys and she's never been in a situation that would require her to like girls in the same way, or to not want to have those feelings for anyone. It might be interesting to visit the concept in the future.

I think I've mentioned her turning off pain receptors off before. It's a conscious effort for her, but they default to on. It isn't entirely useless to her, as pain still tells her where she's suffered injury, which can be useful for detecting and analyzing the nature of an attack even if she regenerates.

One last thing: One of my favorite things about Cyn is actually how bad she is with her powers. Her power set is built for creativity and guile, but Cyn much prefers brute force and bombastic display. One of my favorite Cyn related bits is just how shitty an actress she is (See: Love Like Mad, Amores Detestibalis) when her power should make her a perfect mimic.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 01:33:13 AM by Vaal »

The Descendants - Twitter: @ParadoxOmni

Fyrasha

• Punches Kittens
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2013, 11:32:17 PM »
So, now that it is established that alternate-but-similar universes exist... is there a Rule-63 universe? :)

Vaal

• Vaguely Obscene
  • Administrator
  • Vaguely Obscene
    • View Profile
    • Descendants Serial
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2013, 12:37:12 AM »
Quite probably.

I'm not sure what their names would be.

Warrick... Rina?
Cyn... Sam?
Alexis... Alex (Obviously)

Mazzon

• The 'me' in 'team'
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2015, 05:14:02 AM »
Taking this here since comments ran out of reply depth.
Quote from: Vaal
Inari coudl very well be one of the returned gods and she would probably generate her own set of kitsune because all the returned gods are running on belief and can just do that.
:o Was this a spoiler here? What are 'returned gods'? I'm pretty sure we've so far only heard about Maeve returning and at least my impression was that going back and forth was her individual property caused by Hyrillius' curse.

In the first forum game there appeared something called "Aiun ma-te Sicnus'yuirex Skyking Who Shapes the Wind and Shepherds the Clouds". Would this have been one of these returned gods?

Malacai

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2015, 07:40:18 AM »
I think Vaal's referring to the gods as present in Spider's 7, and for a brief appearance in the main story. Spider, or Anansi, is a god of knowledge and stories from Africa. When magic returned to the world, apparently some gods become embodied.

Can you point towards "Aiun ma-te Sicnus'yuirex Skyking Who Shapes the Wind and Shepherds the Clouds"?

Mazzon

• The 'me' in 'team'
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2015, 11:34:46 AM »
Hmm, silly me. Didn't come to think of Spider's 7 at all, I've kind of been thinking of it as an entirely separate work despite technically knowing it was same continuity. Never mind the question then.

As to Aiun ma-te Sicnus'yuirex Skyking Who Shapes the Wind and Shepherds the Clouds, the forum search feature is your friend. But here's a pointer anyway.

Vaal

• Vaguely Obscene
  • Administrator
  • Vaguely Obscene
    • View Profile
    • Descendants Serial
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2015, 03:51:16 PM »
Yup, the Spider's 7 mythology plot is still running in the background and Cupid Means Business is canon. Only certain types of gods are getting to come back though. So far we've seen knowledge gods and tricksters.

Also, Skyking is a dragon from Faerie who got telefragged into Walking Bear Mountain. He was the most powerful sky dragon of his time though, so being fused to a mountain didn't kill him all that much.

Mazzon

• The 'me' in 'team'
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2015, 04:49:09 PM »
Ah, so the dragon's name simply got retconned to Ayelethes Rom Xhal between their first and second appearance?

Vaal

• Vaguely Obscene
  • Administrator
  • Vaguely Obscene
    • View Profile
    • Descendants Serial
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2015, 09:07:27 PM »
Yes, because I forgot I named him, then named him again with comics references.

Mazzon

• The 'me' in 'team'
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2015, 06:41:03 AM »
I'm wondering about Gabraed of the Greymalkins. Since magic cats are a thing, do they follow T. S. Elliot's naming model (that is, every cat having three names: the one humans give them, the one they're known by among cats, and the true name which is only for the cat themself to meditate upon)?

MichaelVob

Descendants Universe Q
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2019, 04:26:10 PM »
I modded a  "Universe.dat"  file doing the ".mog" name switch, etc. However, when assigning it an unused year, it does not show up as a choice in-game. It does work when I simply give it one of the already existing dates.
Can I not create an independent  "Universe.dat"  file using a totaly different year then what already exists? If so, how?
Thanks for any response.